Monday, April 09, 2007

The Greenhouse

These last seven months or so in the community greenhouse have proven very productive. A lack of sufficient containers and space in general have been my only constraints. And despite some questionable hosta seeds, most of our experiments appear to be succeeding.

I came by my seed in various ways. Some I saved from my own plants. Some I pinched from neighbors' plants. Others I purchased including a rather dubious foray onto Ebay where I became the proud owner of those "hosta" seeds. I also wintered over some coleus plants in addition to vinca, lantana, geranium and heather.

Quickly space became a premium. Especially when it came time to transplant those seedlings into larger pots. Pots that despite my best intentions swiftly became insufficient. And as those seedlings moved into even roomier digs, I found myself inexplicably sowing new seeds with no sense of where I'd go next with my newest crop.

Somehow we made it work. Thankfully I had neighbors who didn't seem to mind me spilling over into their territory. And there were some unclaimed spaces that quietly, over time we took over as well.

And it has really paid off. The false indigo and hollyhocks are zipping along. The brussel sprouts we started in January seem to have transitioned nicely into the veggie patch out back. We had less than spectacular results from the partridge pea and beard tongue seeds I saved, but all in all it's been a productive winter.

No comments: