Thursday, July 03, 2008

Potential, part 2

Awhile back I wrote about and documented some flowers in my garden that were on the brink of blooming. Today I wandered around the veggie patch with much the same intent.

Mmmm. Tomatoes. Hard to imagine how those delicate yellow blossoms will ultimately yield such weighty fruit. Even the branches seem hardly prepared for the burden they will bear...




These peppers are a first for me. I'd say so far so good. I almost want to pick them now, but I have to wait for the color to deepen and the fruit to fatten.



This is our second go-round for zucchini. Our first attempt was a resounding failure so as I look at these gorgeous blossoms I feel it's decision time. Do we cut our losses, harvest the blossoms and enjoy them stuffed with cheese and lightly fried? Or do we keep the faith and hold on just a little longer...

2 comments:

Danielle said...

Keep the faith. It looks like those are male blossoms, which often come first on the plant. Though you could certainly harvest some and enjoy them. The females will have the beginnings of tiny fruits instead of stems below them.

*sigh* I miss the seafood from when we lived on the Chesapeake Bay. Not much out west in Maryland.

Touch the Earth Farm

Meryl said...

Keep the faith with most of them, but steal a few for cheesy, hot fried squash blossoms!